While you might not realize it, wedding detail shots tell the story of your wedding day in a unique way. I love wedding detail shots because there are so many little aspects of your big day that you might not remember years later. I know how much work you put into choosing the exact napkin color and the font on your invitations. Wedding detail shots bring all those little things to the foreground!
I’ve had couples tell me they don’t have details to include in their wedding details photos, but once I show up I use their jewelry, shoes, perfume, and even their purse! From handkerchiefs to handbags, pocket watches to record players, including the subtle details from your wedding brings together your entire day. It tells the entire story.
My biggest tip for all my couples? Put all your details in one location at the venue. That way they’ll all go back to the same place once we’re done. There’s nothing worse than leaving an important detail somewhere, like your grandmother’s hair pin, and not finding it in time for the wedding detail shots! Also, trust the pro’s! Your wedding designer, planner, florist, or decorator are professionals, that’s why you hired them in the first place, right? Trust me! I mean, sure you can use inspiration from Pinterest, but make sure to keep it as that– inspiration. Don’t try to make a carbon copy of a wedding detail shot or tablescape you found on Pinterest. Instead, give guidelines and inspiration to the professionals and they’ll blow you away with the results.
There are so many ways to get a lot of variety with your wedding details photos. Oftentimes, the littlest things can make the biggest impact. So, I’ve gathered some of my very favorite wedding details shots for you today. Plus, I created a checklist of various wedding details you can use in your detail photos!
5 Things to Include for Gorgeous Wedding Detail Shots
- Invitations: Your invites and save-the-dates add texture layers to the detail images. Plus, they have lots of little details about the wedding day. They’re a great “setting the scene” piece to include. Bonus Tip: Add a QR code to your invites with lodging details, directions, and more, as pictured in Claire & Connor’s detail shots!
- Perfume and Cologne: Whether you’re spritzing your tried-and-true signature perfume or cologne, or trying something new for the big day, a perfume or cologne bottle will help bring back the scent memories years later! Make sure it’s in a pretty bottle, like the images below.
- Groom Details: With Logan & Abby’s detail shots, I simply had to include the handmade vow books that Logan made. Using family heirlooms is also a wonderful way to add dimension to wedding detail shots. Here, we included Logan’s grandfather’s pocket watch, which was handed down from father to son through generations.
- Guest “Book”: If you’re using a unique guest book, like Collin & Nikki’s record player, be sure to include it in the detail photos! See how important it is to add these little details? It truly tells the whole story of your wedding day!
- Pictures from the Past: Use pictures from the past to include friends and family that may not be present for the wedding. These detail photos are from the reception tables for Mitch & Stevie’s wedding, and I love how they incorporated the photos to add an extra level of personalization to their wedding decor!
Looking for a wedding photographer in Southern Illinois?
If you recently got engaged, and you’re looking for a wedding photographer in Southern Illinois, I’d love to chat with you! Click here to provide your wedding details, and I’ll be in touch soon! In the meantime, I think you’ll love another of my wedding planning blog posts all about my top wedding planning tips as a photographer!