Odds are that if you’re looking for a unique engagement photoshoot location, you’ll probably have to travel a bit to get there! When I talk to my couples about where they want to have their engagement photos taken, one of the main concerns they usually have is regarding the travel. Even if you’re a road trip aficionado, going somewhere with a big event on your mind can add stress to an otherwise normal ride.
Today, I want to go over a lot of the tips that I tell my couples when they’re planning their engagement photoshoot. If you’re planning to drive to your engagement session location, I hope this list of things to keep in mind helps you!
How to Have a Stress-Free Drive to Your Engagement Photoshoot
- Don’t wear your photoshoot clothes in the car. Wear something super comfy and plan to change when you arrive!
- Hang up your outfits in the car. Whether you hang them on one of the above-the-window handles, or maybe behind the headrest, the important thing is to minimize potential wrinkles as much as possible!
- Bring a lint roller. It’s crazy how differently clothes can look in your closet compared to out in the open. Having a lint roller with you means you can make sure your clothes look their best before and during the photoshoot.
- Consider your undergarments. If you have a strapless dress, make sure to bring a strapless bra or remember to pull down your straps before you start the session! Your photographer should remind you just in case you forget!
- If you’re traveling and staying overnight somewhere, make a packing list 1-2 weeks before your departure date! That way, you can make sure you remember everything.
- HAIRSPRAY. Lots of it. Need I say more?
- Please eat before the drive, and bring snacks. Personally, I LOVE snacking on road trips! It’s always one of the highlights of a longer drive.
- Keep an eye on traffic, especially if you’ll be traveling the same day as your session. Arriving late, even 20-30 minutes, can lead to a huge difference in lighting conditions (aka no golden hour)!
- Don’t forget a blanket, or bring a pop-up changing tent. Some locations may not have restrooms or a private area to change, so a blanket can quickly double as a changing room! I’ve held lots of blankets for my couples to change behind. You gotta do what you gotta do!
- Enjoy the drive! I totally get that traveling and potential traffic can be stressful. Keep reminding yourself why you’re driving: You’re wildly in love and ready to capture the moment! Give each other grace, and blast your favorite playlist to relieve a bit of tension.
Looking for an engagement photographer in the Southern Illinois area?
If you recently got engaged and are looking for an engagement photographer, I’d love to hear from you! Click here to fill out my inquiry form, and I’ll be in touch as soon as I can! In the meantime, check out one of my recent engagement sessions at one of my favorite engagement photoshoot spots: Garden of the Gods!